Wallabies win in Rosario to finish runners-up in The Rugby Championship

07 Oct 2012
Wallabies win in Rosario to finish runners-up in The Rugby Championship

The Wallabies have secured their third win of The Rugby Championship with a strong six-point win over Argentina in Rosario to wrap up their campaign and finish in second.

After a first half that was dominated by penalty goals the game opened up in the second half with both sides crossing for a try in the second half.

The opening try nearly came in the 51st minute when Qantas Wallabies flanker, Michael Hooper broke the line and ran 85-meters only to be pulled down 12 meters short of the line.

The Qantas Wallabies had another chance to extend their six-point half time lead in the 57th minute however Qantas Wallabies fullback, Mike Harris couldn’t continue his accurate first half kicking.

The missed opportunity allowed the Pumas to reduce the visitors lead to just three points in the 63rd minute when Pumas inside centre Marcelo Bosch, slotted his first penalty goal attempt.

Two minutes later the Qantas Wallabies won a scrum, 25 meters out from the try line in centre field and took full advantage with a set piece play sending Digby Ioane in for his second try of The Rugby Championship.

The five points extended the Australians lead to 12-20 and when Mike Harris converted Ioanes try the Qantas Wallabies led by 10-points.

The Australians went further ahead in the 74th minute after Harris kicked truly again for his sixth penalty goal of the Test to extend the visitors lead to 12-25 with just six minutes remaining.

Boosted by a passionate and vocal crowd the Pumas weren’t to be denied and when Brett Sheehan was shown a yellow card in the 75th minute the home side took full advantage and crossed for their first try of the match.

The successful conversion attempt by Bosch saw the Qantas Wallabies lead reduced to just six points with only five minute on the clock.

A long range penalty goal attempt by Qantas Wallabies fly half, Kurtley Beale in the 79th minute could have put the game out of reach for the Pumas, however the kick sailed wide.

A final thrust by the Pumas was cut short with some solid defence by the Qantas Wallabies who notched their third win of the inaugural Investec Rugby Championship and in doing so claimed second place in the Championship.

The Qantas Wallabies will return home and enjoy a well-deserved week break before entering camp in preparation of the third and final Bledisloe Cup Test on 2012 at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday 20 October.